Today marks Downey's 16th birthday and my nephew Stephen's birthday.. Actually today is the day that I made up as Downey's birthday because I was lucky enough to have been able to rescue him on April 4th when he was about 4 years old. His birthday is made up and his age is a guess too but regardless he has been the best buddy to me. When I broke my neck and was unable to take care of him, he had to go live with my sister for 3 months and it was so difficult to be without him. The house felt so empty. You don't realize how much your pet is a source of comfort and companionship until they aren't around. I know Downey's days are numbered and he is difficult to take care of now in his old age but I know I will miss all of that once it is his time. He just had his annual exam and they now notice a possible heart murmur, he has arthritis, and he needs mouthwash to protect the remaining teeth he does have. My poor lil guy but I will take care of him as best I can cuz he's like my furry kid and that is just what you have to do. Today made me think of some great memories I have had with him, like a birthday party I threw for him once and all my friends came with their dogs for a great party at the dog park, and how he always loves seeing his best friend, Hercules (the Bichon that lives next door) when we go outside for walks or when he gets to go to my sisters and spend time with his furry cousin, Snicker. If you have a pet, i'm sure they are a big part of the family so be sure to treasure all those special moments with them. Happy Birthday to my furry companion and friend! I love you Downey!
No comments:
Post a Comment